Tuesday, August 04, 2009

I'm a trustworthy guy..

There we sat in the lion's den. We were waiting in a tiny gray cubicle set off to the side of the Ford showroom. Enticed by the siren song of a shiny new family hauler with room for our giant baby with accoutrements and with an air conditioner that can actually stand up to the 104 degree inferno that we call home, we had come to test drive a Ford Flex.

After the drive, we started the old familiar dance. Our very affable salesman was jotting down what options and colors we were interested in. He asked for my cell phone number, and I got nervous. I didn't want to start getting sales calls at all hours of the day. He quickly moved to reassure me.

That's when Mikey stepped in.

Here's the scene as best I can recall:
Salesman: No, I won't be calling you all the time. I just want to let you know if we have the car you want, and given this Clunker Credit madness, our stock is moving pretty fast.
Me: Ok, that's fair enough.
Salesman: I'm a trustworthy guy, and……

At that exact moment, Michael smiled his huge toothy grin at the salesman and dramatically shook his head side to side…NO. Mikey was saying, "No, sir, I do not believe you are trustworthy. I might be only 9 months old, but I know all about car salesmen." All conversation stopped and we just laughed. Kids say and do the darnedest things.

No comments: